Sun Printing 2

Last summer I had so much fun with sun printing. If you’ve not read my project from last summer, check it out here.

I liked those pieces, but wanted more vibrant color so I headed off to Blick’s to buy some Seta Color Transparent paints. There, I sat on the floor trying to decide on a trio of colors. I was looking to break out of my usual mauve and teal colors and ended with three colors: Buttercup, Emerald Green, and Pernod Yellow.

On my first attempt I realized that the Pernod Yellow pretty much disappears so I didn’t need to waste it on this project.

Let’s get started!

Wash fabric that is at least 50% cotton. I used a vintage handkerchief I picked up a while back. Dry and then iron.

Next lay fabric on a board either covered with plastic or a garbage bag. Smooth the fabric out flat or as much as possible.

Mix 2 parts water to 1 part paint in a jar. I found some old jars around the house with lids. Any leftover paint can be used later for another project.

Watered down paints ready to play

Watered down paints ready to play

Spray the fabric with water until it is wet.

Spray fabric with water

Spray fabric with water

Once it’s completely wet, start painting. Cheap foam brushes will work fine.

Painted fabric

Painted fabric

Now to add masks. These can be anything. I used some ferns from the garden. You can use stencils, die cut shapes, coins, paper clips, string – the list is endless.

Ferns added to fabric

Ferns added to fabric

To make the ferns stay down, I had to spray them and press them with my fingers. I also added sea salt. If you use salt, make sure to spritz the area first so that they will work their magic. They won’t do much on dry material. Be sure to use large grain salt. Regular table salt won’t show up.

Then it’s off to the outside in the sun. I just laid the plastic and board with fabric on the ground.

Fabric in the sun

Fabric in the sun

Now is the hardest part – waiting! I don’t know how many times I ran out to the front to see how it was doing. It was pretty hot and sunny that day so it didn’t take long and it was dry.

Finished sun printed piece

Finished sun printed piece

Here is a closeup.

Closeup of sun printed piece

Closeup of sun printed piece

You will see there are faint lines on the fabric. That was the texture of the handkerchief. Notice how the salt spread in the color making an interesting effect. The ferns turned out so sharp and clear.

We have one  more step. This needs to be heat set with an iron and it’s ready to be used. It also can be washed later if needed.

That’s it. Easy and fun! I’m off Saturday to pick up a few more colors. This is another project that would be so much fun with the kids or us big kids!

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in crafts, dyeing, fabric, tutorials and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.